Monday, April 7, 2008

You've Got a Friend Lesson

You’ve Got a Friend Carole King 1971

When you’re down and troubled
And you need some loving care
And nothing, whoa nothing is going right.
Close your eyes and think of me
And soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest nights.

You just call out my name,
And you know wherever I am
I’ll come running, to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall,
All you‘ve got to do is call
And I’ll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.
You’ve got a friend.

If the sky above you
Should turn dark and full of clouds
And that old north wind should begin to blow,
Keep your head together and call my name out loud now
Soon I will be knocking upon your door.
You just call out my name and you know wherever I am
I’ll come running to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer or fall
Now all you got to do is call
And I’ll be there, yes I will.

Hey, aint it good to know that you’ve got a friend?
When people can be so cold.
They’ll hurt you and desert you.
They’ll take your soul if you let them.
but don’t you let them.

You just call out my name and you know wherever I am
I’ll come running running running to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall,
Hey now, all you’ve got to do is call.
and, I’ll be there, yes, I will
You’ve got a friend.
You’ve got a friend.
Aint it good to know you’ve got a friend.
Aint it good to know aint it good to know, aint it good to know, yeah, yeah,
You’ve got a friend.


1. What words in the song means “unhappy”? ___________and _____________

2. The word, “Whoa” is used when you’re riding a horse and you want him to stop.
Sometimes it is used in a song instead of “OH.”

3. “Your darkest nights” are those nights when you feel ___________________

4. What phrase in the song says that I will come to you at anytime you call me?
___________________________________________________________

5. What other bad signs of weather will make you feel sad?

if the sky__________________________________________________________
if the north wind ____________________________________________________

6. When people are not kind and they hurt you, according to this song, they are _______________ .

7. What word means “leave you by yourself”? ___________________________

8. What words rhyme with what?

a. care rhymes with ______________________
b. right almost rhymes with ________________________
c. again almost rhymes with ____________
d. fall rhymes with __________________
e. clouds almost rhyme with _____________ and _____________
f. hurt rhymes with __________________

9. aint is non-standard English for I’m not. or it isn’t

a. In the song, it says, “Aint it good to know you have a friend?
What is correct English for this sentence?



b. Some people use this for street talk. “I aint comin’ back until late.”
What is correct English for this sentence? ___________________________________________________________

No comments: