Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Milkmaid and the Pail

The Milkmaid and her Pail
A milkmaid was going to the market carrying a pail of milk on her head. As she was walking along, she began to think of what she could do with the money that she would get from selling the milk.
“I’ll buy some chickens,” she thought, “and they will lay eggs every morning. Then I will sell the eggs. When I have enough money, I will buy a new dress and hat. Then when I go to the market, all the boys will notice me, and the other girls will be jealous; but I won’t care because I will just look at them like this. I’ll toss my head in the air and go on my way.”
Just as she said that, she tossed her head back and the pail and all the milk spilled onto the ground.
The moral of the story is this: DON’T COUNT YOUR CHICKENS BEFORE THEY HATCH.

I. VOCABULARY:
nouns
a. What’s a young girl who milks cows called? ____ __________________
b. What’s a place where food is sold? ____ _____________________
c. What’s a receptacle with a handle to carry milk or water or sand ? __ _________
d. What’s a lesson you learn from a story? ___ __________________
adjectives
a. What’s a synonym in the story for envious or resentful ?_______________
idioms:
a. It won’t bother me = __________________________________
b. I’ll move my head back and forth = ________________________
c. I’ll just keep walking. = __________________________________
verbs:
a. What’s a verb that means to see = _______________
b. When baby chicks come out of their shells, they _________________ .

II. VERB TENSES
present present progressive past past progressive future conditional
am/is/are + verbING was/were + verbING will + base form would/could + base form

go/goes am/is/are going went was/were going will go would/could go
carry/carries am/is/are carrying carried was/were carrying will carry
begin/begins began will begin
A. Identify all the verbs in the story.
subject verb tense
1. a milkmaid was walking past continuous
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.

IV. Conversation:
1. Who was carrying a pail of milk on her head?
2. Where was she going?
3. What was she going to sell? Why?
4. Why was she going to buy chickens?
5. Why was she going to buy a new dress and hat?
6. What happened when she tossed her head back?
7. What do you think the moral (“Don’t count your chickens before they hatch.”) means?

Gati©2008

No comments: