Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Fisherman and the Little Fish

THE FISHERMAN AND THE LITTLE FISH

A fisherman cast his net into the sea; and when he drew it up again, it contained nothing but a single tiny fish that begged to be put back into the water.
“I’m only a little fish now, “ it said, “but I will grow big one day, and then if you catch me again, I’ll be of more use to you.”
The fisherman listened, but he replied, “Oh, no, I’m going to keep you now that I’ve got you. If I put you back, it is very unlikely that I’ll ever see you again. “
The moral of this story: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I. Vocabulary
1. What verb means to throw, to fling, or to hurl ? _________________
2. “nothing but” means (a) nothing
(b) everything
(c) only
3. What phrase means “to be helpful” ? _________________________
4. What word means “probably will not be successful” _______________


II. Verbs
subject verb tense
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
III. Conversation Talk to your partner.
1. Who went fishing?
2. Where was the fisherman fishing?
3. How many fish did he catch?
4. What did the little fish want?
5. What did the farmer do with the little fish?
6. Write what you think “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush” means.

No comments: