Friday, March 21, 2008

California Here I Come Lesson

California Here I Come
Words & Music by Al Jolson, Bud De Sylva, and Joseph Meyer
Recorded by Al Jolson, 1946

When the wintry wind starts blowing
And the snow is starting in the fall,
Then my eyes went westward knowing
That's the place that I love best of all.
California, I’ve been blue
Since I’ve been away from you.
I can't wait 'till I get going.
Even now I'm starting in to call. . .


D D+ G
California, here I come.

A A7+5 D
Right back where I started from.

D Fdim Edim A7
Where bowers of flowers bloom in the spring.

D Fdim
Each morning at dawning,

Edim A7
Birdies sing an' everything.

D D+ G
A sun-kissed miss said, "Don't be late."

A A7+5 D
That's why I can hardly wait.

G Gm B7 E7
Open up that Golden Gate,

G A7 A7+5 D
California here I come.


1. What times of year make the singer think of California. (Make a check √.)
___summer ___fall ___winter ____spring

2. When the singer leaves California, what lines in the song tells us he misses California? _____________________________________________________________________

3. What does “blue” mean in the line “I’ve been blue.”


4. What season of the year is the singer’s favorite in California? (Make a check √.)
___summer ___fall ___winter ____spring

5. What is a sun-kissed miss? ___________________________________________________________________

6. What are the rhymes in the song?

a. blowing rhymes with ____________ and ________________

b. fall rhymes with ____________ and ________________

c. blue rhymes with ___________

d. come rhymes with ___________

e. bowers rhymes with ___________

f. spring rhymes with ___________ and _______________

g. late rhymes with ___________ and ________________

h. sun-kissed rhymes with ________________

i. morning sort of rhymes with ______________


7. Tell me something you can hardly wait to do. Write your own sentence.
example: I am so hungry I can hardly wait to eat lunch.
It’s been a long time, so she can hardly wait to see her boyfriend.

________________________________________________________________

No comments: