Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Take a Risk or Not


Two seeds lay side by side in the fertile spring soil. The first seed said, “I want to grow! I want to send my roots deep into the soil beneath me and thrust my sprouts through the earth’s crust above me. I want to unfurl my tender buds like banners to announce the arrival of spring. I want to feel the warmth of the sun on my face and the blessing of the morning dew on my petals!”

And so she grew.

The second seed said, “I am afraid. If I send my roots into the ground below, I don’t know what I will encounter in the dark. If I push my way through the hard soil above me, I may damage my delicate sprouts. What if I let my buds open and a snail tries to eat them? And if I were to open my blossoms, a small child might pull me from the ground. No, it is much better for me to wait until it is safe.”

And so she waited.

A yard hen, scratching around in the early spring ground for food, found the waiting seed and promptly ate it.

The moral of the story is this:
Those of us who refuse to risk and grow get swallowed up by life.


VOCABULARY
Look at the word and see if you can tell the meaning from the context.
Choose a, b, or c.
1. risk (noun) She took a risk and put her money in the stock market.
a. the possibility of loss or injury or other negative occurrence
b. a lot of money
c. a lot of power
2. fertile (adj.) We can plant our seeds in the fertile soil.
a. hard
b. capable of growing, reproducing, and developing
c. soft
3. roots (noun) The tree’s roots went deep into the earth.
a. branches on a tree
b. special food
c. underground portion of a plant
4. soil (noun) She planted the seeds in the soil.
a. the top layer of the earth’s surface supporting plant life
b. oil
c. dirty laundry
5. thrust (verb) He thrust a dagger into the man’s back.
He thrust his way into the crowd.
a. to throw away
b. to run
c. to push forcibly; shove; put or drive with force
5. sprouts (noun) The plant’s sprouts are just becoming visible.
a. shoots or buds of a plant
b. roots of a plant
c. flowers of a plant

6. crust (noun) Scientists are studying the earth’s crust.
a. a volcano
b. the outer layer of the earth
c. part of a pie
7. unfurl (verb) The flag unfurled as it hung on the pole.
a. unroll, unfold, or spread out
b. unnecessary
c. underneath
8. tender (adj.) The flower had tender buds.
a. hard or tough
b. young
c. soft or delicate
9. buds (noun)
a. a small projection on a plant
b. the roots of a plant
c. the flowers on a plant
10. banners (noun) She was carrying a banner in the parade.
a. songs
b. flags or cloths with a logo, symbol or message on them
c. poems
11. blessing (noun) The child was a blessing to her parents.
a. something that contributes to happiness or well-being
b. kissing
c. running
12. dew (noun) There was dew on the leaves.
a. a sweet drink
b. water droplets
c. soda
13. petals (noun) The dew fell on the petals.
a. beautiful pictures
b. the place for your feet on a bicycle
c. one of the often brightly colored parts of a flower
14. encounter (verb) I don’t know what I will encounter in the dark.
a. find
b. lose
c. eat
15. delicate (adj.) That plant has delicate sprouts.
a. strong
b. dainty
c. simple
16. blossoms (noun) The flower opened its blossoms.
a. stems
b. balloons
c. the flowers of the plant
17. scratching around (adj.) A yard hen scratching around for food ate the seed.
a. jumping
b. looking for
c. itching
18. promptly (adverb) The hen promptly ate the seed.
a. slowly
b. quickly
c. finally


GRAMMAR
1. to lay (transitive verb S V O )
I lay We lay past tense: laid
You lay You lay past participle: laid
He/She/It lays They lay
Examples: Present: The hen lays 2 eggs every other day. She never lays just one egg.
S V O S V O
Past Tense: Yesterday the hen laid 3 eggs.
S V O
I think I laid my keys on the table this morning, but now I can’t find them.
S V O
Present Perfect Tense: She has never laid a brown egg (in her whole life).
S v V O
Name some things that you often lay (put) on the table. (your keys, jacket, books, _______
A. Write a sentence using lay (in the present tense). _________, _________, _______
______________________________________________________________________
B. Write a sentence using laid (past tense)
______________________________________________________________________

2. WANT TO + (verb)
A. What does the first seed want to do?
He wants 1. to grow. 4. ______________
2. ______________ 5. _______________
3. ______________ 6. _______________
B. What do you want to do? or What do you want to be? Tell me three things.
1. I want __________________________________________________
2. ________________________________________________________
3. _________________________________________________________

3. IF + present tense, main clause WILL/WON’T or (CAN/CAN’T)+ base verb form Examples: If I eat too much, I will get fat.
If I don’t eat nutritious food, I won’t be healthy.
A. The second seed had real fears about the future. Read about those fears again.
Write me two sentences using IF + present tense, telling me about your present condition and how it will affect your future.
___________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________
COMPREHENSION and CONVERSATION
Talk to your partner and then write your answers.
1. This story is an imaginary conversation between ________________________ .
2. What did the first seed do? and What did the second seed do?
___________________________________________________________________
3. In the end, what happened to the second seed?
___________________________________________________________________
4. What is your opinion about taking risks?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments: