Monday, October 13, 2008

The Fox and the Crow


One day a hungry fox was walking through the woods. He saw a crow sitting in a tree enjoying a tasty piece of cheese.
“Ah, my dear crow,” said the fox. “What a magnificent bird you are! I can see that your body is beautiful, your feathers are fine, and your color is wonderful. I only wish I could listen to your lovely voice.”
Hearing such talk, the crow felt very proud. She opened her mouth and cawed in her loudest voice. As she opened her mouth to sing, the cheese fell to the ground where the fox was waiting under the tree.
“You tricked me,” said the crow angrily.
“I did, indeed, silly crow. Thank you, thank you for this delicious cheese. You have the worst voice I’ve ever heard and you are the most stupid bird I’ve ever met. Remember something,” said the fox. “I said many things about your shiny feathers and your singing voice, but I never said anything about your brain.”
The moral of the story is this: Don’t trust flatterers.

VOCABULARY
1. “What a magnificent bird you are! “magnificent” means
a. wonderful b. marvelous c. beautiful

2. From this list of adjectives, what are the nouns?
a. happy happiness
b. proud ______________
c. beautiful ______________
d. shiny ______________
e. tasty ______________
f, silly ______________

3. “You tricked me.” “tricked” means
a. made me laugh b. fooled me c. told me the truth

4. “I did indeed. . . “ “indeed means
a. the right thing b. a funny thing c. for sure; certainly

5. “brain” is a synonym for what word? _____________________

6. What is a “flatterer”
a. someone with a flat head
b. someone who overpraises you
c. someone who is really fat

7. “trust” means a. to believe b. to trick c. to feel good

GRAMMAR

1. WISH + that clause with WOULD or COULD
or WOULD/COULD HAVE + past participle
[Don’t use WILL/WON’t or CAN/CAN’t.]
“I wish I could listen to your lovely voice.”
I wish that we could have gone to Disneyland.
Please write your own sentences
a. I wish______________________________________________________________

b. He wishes __________________________________________________________

c. When I was young, I wished ___________________________________________

2. WHAT A (noun). . . ! tells others your are excited about something.
“What a magnificent bird you are! Note the order of the subject and verb.
Try writing your own WHAT A . . . sentence.
_____________________________________________________________________
3. Find all the ADJECTIVES used in this story and tell what NOUNS they modify.

article adjectives (the a)
1. the fox
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
descriptive adjectives
1. hungry fox
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.

demonstrative adjectives (this, that, these, those)

1.





possessive adjectives
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.

SUPERLATIVES

12. a. single-syllable adjectives
loud soft big cold
add THE or possessive adjectives MY, YOUR, HIS, HER, OUR, THEIR

her loudest voice the softest bed the biggest ball the coldest weather

Please write your own sentence:


13. adjectives ending in “y”
add THE and change the “y” to “i” and add “est

the craziest man in town my happiest moment the laziest person in the class

Please write your own sentence:


14. 2+ more syllables
add THE + MOST + adjective

the most stupid mistake I ever made the most beautiful dress in the world

Please write your own sentence:


CONVERSATION (Please talk to your partner. Then write your answer in a complete sentence.)
1. Who are the two characters in this story? _________________________________________
2. Why did the crow drop her cheese? ___________________________________________
3. What does the moral mean: “Don’t trust flatterers.”
____________________________________________________________________________

No comments: